Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Recession in US - What do you think?

I try to be optimistic about the economy in the US and I want to have faith in our elected officials to "do the right thing" for the people that they serve but sometimes it is difficult.

As I watch the nightly news I find myself wondering how the downturn in the economy is effecting other families across the US. It seems that at least weekly I hear of another manufacturing facility that is closing or laying off workers. Here in the south these closures have made a drastic impact on the local rural economies. Many laid off workers are now returning to school for retraining. The mortgage crisis is effecting real estate prices and driving sales down. I notice each time that I go shopping that grocery prices are higher and I am sure that everyone notices the rising price of gasoline each time that he/she makes a stop to fill up at the gas pump. I continue to read about tentative deals on tax rebates to help stimulate the economy but I wonder how long that this band-aid will remedy the problem. In the meantime we the citizens will reap either the benefits or consequences of the politicians actions.

In trying to regain optimism about the situation at large my best bet is probably to turn off the TV and quit watching the nightly news for a while!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog. Don't get those very often. While I have a counter to record the number of people who visit and where they are from I can not tell how they found my blog. This would be of intrest to me. If you don't mind could you tell me how you found my blog. Thank you for your time. Steve